Food Collection Information
Each neighborhood has it’s own coordinator(s) and collection dates:
For all participating neighborhoods, the coordinator will recruit and contact participants and send out reminders of when their collection will be. It is usually a recurring day such as the first Thursday of every month. Contact the neighborhood coordinator for details.
We collect in the following neighborhoods. If you don’t see your neighborhood listed, we would love to add you to our list. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started now!
- Avent West: Jana Saur
- Baybridge: Colleen Streetman
- Bedford at Falls River: Gretchen Adema
- Breckenridge: Arrin Dutton
- Byrum Woods: Joann Applegate
- Eastwinds at Pinecrest: Lisa Lawrence
- Fairview Acres: Jana Saur
- Glen Lake South: Trinnie O'Connor
- Harrington Grove: Leslie Rossner, Dylan Dodson
- New Forest: Amber Ross
- Oak Park: Tricia Wendel
Email us at email@example.com to become a neighborhood coordinator! We will give you start up materials and get your neighborhood posted on the website. Simply:
- Recruit your neighbors by email, social media, neighborhood HOA, Next Door, or word of mouth. Yard signs and car magnets are great for this!
- Establish a regular collection date each month and email participants before and after collections.
- Collect donations from your neighborhood porches once per month and drop them off at the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle.
Food Donation Recommendations
We suggest the following non-perishable food donations for BackPack Buddies:
Each backpack contains 6 meals and 2 snacks to feed each student over the weekend. More specifically, each backpack gets: 2 proteins, 2 noodles, 2 veggies, 1 fruit, 2 breakfasts, 2 snacks, 2 juice boxes & 3 milk boxes.
- Proteins include: Chef Boyardee microwave meals, canned/pouch tuna & chicken, canned beans & chilis/soups, etc
- Noodles include: Easy Mac cups & packets, Cup o’ Noodles, Ramen noodles, etc
- Canned low sodium veggies and fruit in 100% fruit juice – pop tops a plus!
- Breakfasts include: individual boxes of healthy cereals, cereal bars, instant oatmeal & grits packets
- Snacks include: Granola bars, cracker sandwich packets, microwave popcorn, individual bags/boxes of pretzels, goldfish, raisins etc.
- Juice boxes should be 100% juice, and NO POUCHES! (They puncture easily in backpacks!)
- Shelf-stable milk boxes can be white or chocolate, regular or soy.
- No candy or junk food, please!
Other items accepted for food pantries include:
- whole grain pastas
- dry beans
- brown & white rice
- oatmeal and low/no sugar cereals
- canned vegetables, fruits & soups
- dried fruits & nuts
Food Sort Dates
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for volunteer opportunities.